This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world's youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
*This program is an activity of the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
“The Change I Want to Make”.
What is the one thing you would like to change the most to make your school, workplace, community, country or the world a better place? How would you bring about that change? Please share your concrete ideas.
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2018) in one of the following age categories: a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 - 25)
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title. Essays may be typed or printed.
- Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online
- Essay must be original and unpublished
- Essay must be written by one person (not group)
Entries must be received by June 15, 2018 (23:59 your local time)
Entry is free.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category:
• 1st prize (1): Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of February 2018) and gift
• 2nd prize (2): Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of February 2018) and gift
• 3rd prize (5): certificate and gift
1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 23, 2018 and will receive the Minister of Education Award (travel expenses will be covered by the organizer).
Please visit www.goipeace.or.jp/en/work/essay-contest to learn more about the competition.